Packed full of flavour, essential nutrients and good quality protein, this slice is a winner all round! This slice is super quick and easy to whip up and makes the perfect simple mid week dinner or convenient lunchbox option! Though it does contain a few less healthy ingredients (uhmmm bacon) the amount used is minimal and is really only in there for flavour, so not too much too worry about there! This slice is also perfect for all you carb conscious people out there! Recipe as follows…
What you need…
- 2 large zucchinis, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2-3 slices short cut bacon, diced (or you can use ham for a slightly healthier version!)
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup wholemeal SR flour (or gluten free self raising flour for a gluten free version)
- 3/4 cup grated low fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 extra large eggs
What to do…
Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a non-stick baking tray.
In a large bowl combine the zucchini, carrot, onion, shallots, bacon, flour and cheese and mix together.
In a separate bowl lightly beat the eggs add the oil before pouring into the mix of dry ingredients. Mix well to combine and season with a salt and pepper.
Finally pour the mixture into your lined baking dish. Bake for 30-35 mins or until golden and set. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.